Are you planning a trip to Queensland in a motorhome hire? Do you already know where you’ll be stopping? If you’re planning a trip to Cairns, did you know that there are some pretty amazing places in the region?
The best thing about travelling in your motorhome hire is that you will be able to get up and move easily from one place to the next, always having your bed with you. Cairns is well-known as a “doorway” to the Great Barrier Reef but there are also other worthwhile road trip stops in the region. In fact, you don’t want to take the time to go to Cairns and not see what else there is to see in the region.
To help you plan your trip, we’re including our favorite stops in and around Cairns for your road trip in Queensland. If you like nature, beautiful places, and fun experiences, you won’t be disappointed:
- Kuranda Scenic Railway: Imagine riding on a historic train while enjoying the beauty of the Cairns region. A thick rainforest, stunningly beautiful yet alarming ravines, and breathtaking waterfalls are all a part of the Kuranda Scenic Railway. While it isn’t always open due to heavy rains, when it is, it’s worth experiencing to get a glimpse of the unique beauty of the Cairns area in Queensland. This is an especially fun experience for those travelling with kids, as after all, most kids enjoy a train ride, even more so if they’ve never been on one.
- Palm Cove: Hoping to get some quality beach time in while in Queensland? You’re in luck, there are plenty of places to choose from in the area. One beach destination that we love is Palm Cove. Small yet beautiful, it’s the perfect little beachside village for those who want to get away from the mass tourism in Cairns yet still get to enjoy the beauty of the area. There are plenty of options for kayaking or paddling near the beach. Another very interesting thing about Palm cove are the 500-year old Melaleuca Trees. Don that bikini or swim trunks and enjoy your time
- Daintree National Park: A dense rainforest and beautiful views of waterfalls and from the peak of Mount Sorrow make this national park a favorite for many people. From long treks to short walks, it’s a place that can be visited by anyone who wants to spend time in nature and observe the local flor and fauna.
- Mamu Skywalk: Who says that a “walk in the clouds” is reserved for a Hollywood movie? The Mamu skywalk is located in the Wooroonoon National Park and is worth spending some time to visit. As a unique area for you to get views of the rainforest from above it, this is a favorite destination for many people who want to explore the forest floor up to the canopy, but in a more comfortable way than walking it.
- Great Barrier Reef: Obviously while you’re in Cairns, you’ll want to take some time to visit the Great Barrier Reef. Whether you’re an avid scuba diver or you’re down for snorkeling, it’s a sight that you want to see, at least once in your life. There is an abundance of interesting underwater life, so bring your underwater camera and enjoy the world below the water’s surface.
- Cairns Lagoon: When you arrive to Cairns, make sure that you take some time to visit Cairns Lagoon. This lovely spot is perfect for relaxing, especially after having road tripped around the area. With plenty of options for food and drinks, as well as live music, it’s a great way to unwind and start to enjoy the beauty of Cairns.
- Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park: Only 15 minutes away from Cairns, Tjapukai is the ideal park for those who are hoping to get to know about the Aboriginal culture. From performances to music and stories galore, it’s not only a very interesting experience, it’s a fun way to pass the time. You can even learn how to throw a spear or boomerang.
Cairns is possibly one of the most popular places in Queensland. As one of the most visited areas for those seeking to enjoy the Great Barrier Reef, it’s no wonder that many people make it a highlight for their road trip throughout Australia. Who doesn’t want to enjoy some time in one of the most paradisiacal locations in the country?
Are you planning to travel around Australia in your motorhome hire? If you’re headed to Queensland, these are some ideal places to plan on seeing. If you have more time to play with, then consider visiting some other places in the area. Either way, a visit to Cairns and the places nearby is always a good idea. In fact, Queensland is always a good idea. Happy travelling!